UGent looking for a new AM Platform Manager
Looking for a new challenge in the world of Additive Manufacturing? Then you might have come to the right place at Ghent University. AM is a rapidly growing market with a lot of potential and UGent is keen to put its weight behind it. To support the start-up and expansion of the Industrial Research Fund (IOF) in their research, a Platform Manager is being recruited.
Ghent University is a world unto itself. More than 8,000 employees work there every day in teaching and research, management and administration, technical and social services, etc. UGent profiles itself as one of the largest, most exciting and forward-looking employers in the region. Ghent University has 11 faculties and more than 80 departments, offering high-quality, research-supported education in each of the scientific disciplines.
The industrial importance of Additive Manufacturing (AM) grew strongly in recent years. After all, by 2020, AM is no longer just used to build prototypes, but has found its way into many industries as a fully-fledged production technique. This evolution is part of the general trend of ‘mass customisation’. As a result, the AM market has grown into a billion-dollar business that continues to grow.
To make AM also an ‘enabling technology’ for AUGent, AUGent, with support from the Industrial Research Fund (IOF), plans to set up a multidisciplinary platform around this technology. To support the start-up and expansion of this platform, a Platform Manager will be recruited.
The AM platform brings together multidisciplinary expertise within AUGent and is a collaborative ‘from material to application’ that transcends the boundaries of existing AUGent structures. The existing research and expertises cover various materials and related applications, including polymers, metals and concrete. The platform aims to (1) establish a consulted vision on AM for AUGent; (2) promote and accelerate the development and application of AM technology from AUGent; (3) facilitate top research and its valorisation in various disciplines in which AM has a growing interest; and (4) put AUGent on the map internationally as an AM knowledge hub.
The Platform Manager plays a central and facilitating role in the creation and further development of the AM platform and will support AUGent researchers and existing IOF business developers
- You have a master’s degree in engineering or sciences.
- You have strong affinity and broad knowledge around additive manufacturing, with a focus on materials, material characterisation, modelling or end applications.
- You have a PhD relevant to the position or relevant industrial experience of at least 5 years.
- You have an interdisciplinary and generic engineering background to link knowledge demand and supply and to build understanding of diverse AM technologies and research infrastructure.
- You have a strong interest in innovation and the development of new products/services in the additive manufacturing sector, as well as research valorisation.
- You have affinity with both academic and corporate sectors
- You are a team player who enjoys working smoothly with changing partners, but can also work independently.
- You have a sense of initiative.
- You have strong social and communicative skills (at least in English and Dutch; willingness to improve your knowledge of Dutch if necessary) in order to build good contacts with different types of partners and stakeholders.
Apply for the job
Does this vacancy appeal to you and would you like to apply? Then be sure to click through to the UGent job page and apply for this opportunity!