VUB-AM Vacancy: Senior Hybrid Manufacturing Machine developer
Looking for a new challenge in the world of Additive Manufacturing? Then you may have come to the right place at the VUB-AM. The Mechanical Engineering department of the VUB, is looking for a motivated candidate to guide, develop and further extend the unique capabilities of Hybrid additive manufacturing infrastructure for the research objectives of the AMRL (Additive Manufacturing Research Lab).
About the VUB-AM
The Vrije Universiteit Brussel has been a leading player in the Flemish Higher Education landscape for 50 years. The University numbers 16.000 students and together with its hospital – UZ Brussel – employs more than 6000 people. The Vrije Universiteit Brussel is the largest Dutch speaking employer in the capital.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel invites candidates to apply for a vacancy as a hybrid manufacturing machine developer (M/F/X). The research environment is situated in the capital of Europe, Brussels Humanities, Sciences & Engineering Campus, Pleinlaan 2, Brussels
The selected candidate will receive the opportunity to extend its required skills and capabilities to support the different researchers. He/she will also be involved with further required investements to pursue the ambitions of the additive manufacting research lab and its partners.
- Implementation, maintenance and development of state-of-the-art hybrid manufacturing research infrastructure.
- Implementation and development of new sensor and data acquisition solutions for monitoring and eventually control of hybrid manufacturing process.
- Configuring and programming of PLC and CNC controllers from Bosch and Siemens.
- Potentially, propose, design and implement hardware modifications for the hybrid additive-subtractive research platform to enhance part quality and consistency.
- Improve safety aspects to further profesionalise the research infrastructure.
- Support researchers to implement new monitoring solutions or practical experiments in an efficient manner.
You hold a Masters degree in either Mechanical Engineering or Automation (or equivalent by experience). Preferably have 4-5 years of experience in an industrial or research environment and great enthusiasm to contribute to innovations in advanced production. You are a team-player and can work in an international environment using English as a communication tool. The succesfull candidate:
- is motivated to become an expert in (hybrid) additive manufacturing machine development.
- Posseses the hands-on mentality and practical skills.
- Proven ability to work in a team and high willingness to support, explain other team members the developped solutions, with a real professional, positive mind set.
- has a strong analytical spirit and attitude to finalize tasks
- has electrical and automation design and development skills
- Sound knowledge of implementation, comissioning and programming of robots or other advanced motion solutions.
- programming and configuring skills of CNC and/or PLC controllers and motion drives and motors.
- has mechanical design and CAD skills or is willing to further develop this.
- has basic scripting skills in Matlab and/or other programming languages as required for data collection, and processing are a plus.
- You speak and write English fluently; a knowledge of Dutch/French are a plus
Past experiences in the following topics are considered a bonus: metal additive manufacturing, machine control, CNC and CAM experience, optics, lasers …
An interesting fulltime position, allowing to perform developments and implementations on a popular industrial topic (additive manufacturing) in a research environment. You have access to a beyond state-of-the-art hybrid additive-subtractive research platform and equipment. Permanent employment contract with a gross monthly salary grade 7 (min 3476 – max 4057), grade 8 (min 3943 – max 4524) or exceptionally grade 9. The salary will be dependent on the number of years of relevant experience and specific skills and knowledge.
- Cost-free hospitalisation and group insurance with guaranteed income;
- Full reimbursement for your home-work commute with public transport according to VUB-policy, or bicycle allowance
- Possibilities to work from home after internal agreement with supervisor, a remote work allowance of 50 €/month and the required tools, potential a smart phone with subscription
- An open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues, an exceptional flexible vacation arrangement with 35 days of holidays per year and closure between Christmas and New Year.
- Planned starting date: as soon as possible, latest August 2023 (open to reasonable discussion)
- Exciting and stimulating tasks in an international academic environment with links to the industry
- Furhter training is encouraged and the space to form your job content and continuously learn via VUB LRN platform.
- Daycare at the campus with priority for children from personnel, discounts on holiday camps
- Economical and excellent facilities for sport and exercise, intresting sport subscription via Basic-Fit, severdiscounts in shops via Benefits@work
- Delicious meals at attractive prices in the campus restaurants
- Access to a unique additive manufacturing facillity at MECH, VUB
Apply before 15/04/2023 via the VUB-jobsite. Please attach the following documents to your application:
- Your CV, motivation letter, and a copy of your highest obtained degree.
- A reference person details or a letter.
- A comprehensive summarised overview of your previous relevant experience
- An example of an achievement in the field of custom machine building and technical document if available that has been written by you (e.g thesis, essay, technical report or scientific paper).
For more information regarding this job offer you can contact VUB-AM
- Phone: (+32)2 629 28 07,
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org